The Consular Service is the portal through which the Ministry of Foreign Relations provides consular assistance to the general public. Consular services to the public are provided under the terms of the Consular Functions Act No. 4 of 1981.

About our Consular Service :

Travel Document (Passport)
Registration of Birth & Citizenship
Registration of Marriage
Registration of Death
Concern Letter
Transfer visa to new passport
Open a bank account in Thailand (Affidavit)
Obtain a driving license in Thailand (Affidavit)
Certify residence in Thailand (Affidavit)

About our Visa Service :

With effect from 1st January 2012, all Holiday or Business travelers to Sri Lanka must have Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) for entering in to Sri Lanka. Please visit for more information.

Important Note
How To Apply
Entry & Residence
Gratis Officell & Diplomatic
Journalist & Filming Crew
Voluntary NGOs

Registration of Death

has to be made by a close relative or friend or any other person who was with the deceased at the time of death.

The following documents are required for registering the death:a. Original Death Certificate issued by the relevant Authorities.

Coroner’s Report

Passport and other available identification documents of the deceased, to prove Sri Lankan Citizenship.

The Embassy charges a fee for the Registration of a death. Fees should be paid by Cash (only if application is hand delivered).

The Money Orders or Certified Cheques made in favour of “Embassy of Sri Lanka“. Please note that personal cheques will not be accepted.

For further details please contact the Consular Division of this Embassy.

- This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
- Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.

No Human corpse shall be landed in Sri Lanka unless such corpse has beena) embalmed and enclosed in a coffin of hard wood with a lead of zinc lining.

Packed in a coffin of hard wood with hermetically sealed lead or zinc lining with suitable disinfectants (such as chloride or line or zinc sulphate mixed with sawdust, filling the empty spaces within the coffin.

The following documents should be produced -a) Certificate from the health authority where the death occurred stating that the corpse has been embalmed or packed as required by para (1)

A certified copy of the certificate of registration of death issued by the registering authority of the placed where the death occurred, stating the date and cause of death.

A certificate from the relevant authorities of the place where the death occurred stating that the removal of the corpse from the place of death has been sanctioned by the said authorities. (Burial/Transit Permit)

A certificate from the diplomatic representative of the Government of Sri Lanka or the British Consul of the place from which such corpse has been dispatched, stating that the coffin in which such corpse is encased contains only the body of the deceased.

Where no diplomatic representative of the Government of Sri Lanka or British Consul is stationed at such place, proof to the satisfaction of the proper authority that the coffin in which such corpse is encased contains only the body of the deceased.

A certificate from the local health authority stating that the deceased did not die of quarantinable disease.

Passport of the deceased.

Coroner’s certificate (if death was not due to natural reasons)

Police Report (if death was not due to natural reasons)

where a vessel/aircraft arrives in Sri Lanka with the corpse of a person who has died during the voyage, or during the period that the vessel or aircraft remains in a port/airport in Sri Lanka, the master of the vessel/pilot shall,(a) Inform the proper authority of such fact.

Carry out all instructions given by the proper authority for the disposal of the body and for the cleansing and disinfection of the vessel or aircraft.

In order to bring human ashes to Sri Lanka,(a) Permission of the proper authorities should be obtained.

Such permission shall be granted only if the ashes are sealed in a metal container which is air-tight and water-tight.